The Lost Revolution
Great Music Lost & Found, we talk about anything from Indie to Classical to Mainstream music.

Jukebox

Category: , , By ed
Cat Power
Jukebox
Well, I have to admit, I find it very hard to review this album objectively. Possibly because I have a crush on Charlyn 'Chan' Marshall. It might be because of my incorrigible weakness for bangs, or it could be because Marshall has an amazingly unique voice and happens to be exceptionally talented.

Anyway, Jukebox is another cover album from CP, I use the term covers very loosely here, the original songs and tunes are little more than extremely vague and blurry guideposts seen in the dark. The first track 'New York' (yes, the Frank Sinatra one) starts out so differently that it took me awhile to recognize. Marshall covers her idols Mitchell, Joplin and Dylan among others and she does a wonderful impersonation of Dylan here in 'I Believe in You' and original 'Song to Bobby'. Not surprisingly, she also holds a contribution on the OST of Dylan biopic "I'm Not There" with 'Stuck in Of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again'.

With 2006's The Greatest, Marshall had found her voice and Jukebox feels like a audio diary for future retrospection. Whatever the case Jukebox is perfect for a lazy rainy afternoon or chilling out in the evening for some easy listening. This is one musician worth looking out for.
-Ed

Listen to: Blue, Lost Someone
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?